Sunday, August 16, 2015

Butterfly Activity

Hi Everyone!

I am back in full swing at school and just completed my first week!  It was a full week and I have a crazy new schedule that I have to get used to.  However, I have a lot of great new students and have been doing many activities to help create a nice positive learning environment.  One of the activities that I did last week was this butterfly activity. I have done this several times in the past and other teachers have been asking me about it this year.  

This butterfly activity is a getting to know you, where students are paired up and have to complete this butterfly with is actually a Venn Diagram about similarities and differences of each student.


Here is how I put it together.


1.Pair students into partners of 2. Each partner gets a wing (one gets the right, and one gets the left).

2.Together they fill out things they have in common on the body of the butterfly.

3.Then they discuss their differences. This talk may sound like, what’s your favorite movie? or How many pets do you own? They put their differences on their wing.

4.Then students each color their own wing and decide how to color the body.

5.Students cut out each wing (do NOT cut off the black tabs) and cut out the butterfly body.

6.Then (up to you) but as the teacher I taped the butterfly wings on the back of the body.


7.Then as the teacher I took one pipe cleaner and bent it in the middle to have to equal halves. I taped the middle to the back of the body and curled the ends to make it look like antennae. 

This is the end result:



So now I have a great new bulletin board for parents to see when they come next week for parent night!

 See the Butterfly Activity on TPT.

Have Fun,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment